Mental Health Reform is pleased at the appointment of Kathleen Lynch TD as Minister of State with responsibility for Mental Health. A key part of Minister Lynch’s brief will be to progress the welcome commitments contained in the Programme for Government including:
- Implementation of the recommendations of A Vision for Change – including the ring-fencing of €35 million annually for community mental health services and the implementation of Reach Out;
- Inclusion of mental health services as part of the standard packages under Universal Health Insurance;
- Improvement of primary care mental health services;
- Closure of psychiatric institutions and the transfer of patients to more appropriate community settings;
- Reform of the law on mental capacity.
These commitments have been brought about by hard work and consistent campaigning and we thank you for all you have done in this regard. Please keep up the good work by clicking on our Take Action section.