In 2016 in partnership, the Mental Health Commission and Mental Health Reform published guidelines for mental health services and staff, on working with people from ethnic minority communities. These were based on our previous position paper on ethnic minorities and mental health, launched in 2014. The guidelines are intended to inform mental health services and staff on how best to provide care to individuals from ethnic minorities.
In 2021, the Mental Health Commission once more partnered with us to update the guidelines. The consultation process took place from June – August 2021. We gathered feedback from both service users and providers, and invited written feedback from interested stakeholders. Recommendations from the consultation have shaped the revised document.
The feedback from the consultation has led to the production of a shorter version, which is intended to be more user friendly. In 2021, MHR produced the Cultural Competency Toolkit, which is a practical document for staff working in mental health services. The Cultural Competency Toolkit has informed these revised guidelines. You can access the guidelines from Thursday 02nd, by clicking the button below.
On 02nd December, 2021 we launched ‘Ethnic Minorities and Mental Health, Revised guidelines for mental health services and staff on working with people from ethnic minority communities.’
The Guidelines were launched by the Minister for Mental Health & Older Persons, Mary Butler T.D.
- Minister Mary Butler T.D – Minister of State for Mental Health and Older People
- John Farrelly – Chief Executive, Mental Health Commission
- Fiona Coyle – CEO, Mental Health Reform
- Ita Connolly – Research & Policy Officer, Mental Health Reform
- Emilia Marchelewska – Health Advocacy Officer, Cairde
- Blessing Dada – See Change Ambassador
- Gary Kiernan – Director of Regulation, Mental Health Commission
You can watch the launch event back below.
- 02 December, 2021 – Press Release “The Mental Health Commission and Mental Health Reform launched revised guidelines for mental health services and staff working with people from ethnic minority communities.”
- 2021 Cultural Competency Toolkit
- 2016 Guidelines Ethnic Minorities and Mental Health Guidelines
- 2014 Ethnic Minorities and Mental Health: A position paper